Thursday, September 24, 2009

This is the temper tantrum that never ends...it just goes on and on my friends


Naomi is an incredibly easy going kid. She has a fun tempermant and usually doesn’t have a ridiculous amount of temper tantrums, and when she does, it’s usually pretty easy to soothe, distract, or figure out what’s wrong and make her happy.

Yesterday was an exception. The only things that I could think of that might have made her difficult yesterday was that in the morning, after 5 straight days of me being home, I suddenly wasn’t. Then at daycare she developed a really bad diaper rash from all the explosive poopy diapers she’s been having due to the antibiotics the doctor put her on for her finger. When we’re at home, since we’re constantly watching her, we’re able to change her diaper as soon as we see (or smell) that’s she’s gone. At daycare I guess the change doesn’t happen as quickly and with the yucky diapers, the poor thing developed a rash.
Anyway, I digress….from the moment she woke up, Austin dealt with a fussy baby who didn’t want to eat breakfast, didn’t want to get dressed, and wanted to be carried all morning. When I picked her up from daycare, her daycare teacher told me that Naomi was a little bit up and down. I didn’t really know what she meant, but just assumed that Naomi was probably a little fussy, something her teachers haven’t really witnessed yet, other than the initial separation anxiety in the early mornings.
When we got home, I got to witness this “fussiness”, or what I like to call temper tantrum madness, first hand. Austin ended up having to stay late at work, so I was handling an overly tired, overly fussy baby all on my own. It was a hard night trying to get dinner ready, dinner fed was an even bigger struggle. Most of her food probably ended up on the floor rather than in her belly, as did her dishes and plastic ware. (thank goodness for sturdy ikea kids dinnerware!!) We managed to get a couple bites of mashed potatoes in only after I let her eat with my spoon out of my bowl. Bathtime was a struggle as Naomi crawled in and out of her baby tub and wrestled with me to put her clothes back on. Anyone listening in would have thought I was abusing her if they were to have heard her scream while I tried to feed her her antibiotics. Even drinking her milk before bedtime was a struggle as she refused to sit in her chair, and only wanted to sit in my lap, and I had to be sitting in the rocking chair, any other chair or heaven forbid, the floor, did not work.
Finally it was time to put her to bed, and my calm, happy, sweet Naomi came back. She cuddled up to me as I sang her her lullabye and kissed my cheek before I put her in her crib. She was so sweet, that I ended up holding her for just a little longer letting the calmness from the lack of crying melt away any tension I had felt earlier in the night.

No comments: