Wednesday, December 16, 2009

She fell asleep standing up...

Yes that's right. Standing up. We've been lucky to have several days of excellent sleep. Even though she was sick, Naomi's sleep patterns were back to normal, in bed by 8, sleeping through the night til 7 or 7:30. Last night, the first night she was feeling better and fever free, she didn't want to go to sleep. She ended up crying for around an hour before finally just deciding to stand up and talk to herself in her crib. At 10, 2 hours after I had put her to bed, I went in to try and get her to lie down and settle down. Big mistake. She was fine while I was in there, but afterwards she was all worked up and started crying again. After a little bit of back and forth with me then Austin going in, we decided to try and let her work it out and hope she'd fall asleep on her own. The last time I checked on her on her monitor, was around 2am, and she was STILL standing up. My heart was breaking and I wanted to go in and tell her to lie down, or at least to rock her to sleep. But I knew if i went in, she'd get worked up again, plus I was woozy from some cold tylenol pm I had taken since i've been feeling under the weather myself. Finally I woke up to get ready for work at 4am and saw that she was STILL STANDING. I finally went inside figuring if she was awake I'd just rock her. When I went into her room, I felt my heart break into a thousand pieces. she had fallen asleep with her arms up on the crib rail, and her lambie cushioning her head. She was wobbling around, like you do when you're about to fall asleep on the train and catch yourself. I picked her up and lay her down in her crib. She looked up at me for a second, and then fell back asleep, this time in a deep sleep. The poor girl is probably going to be completely exhausted today, and possibly sore from standing up in that terrible position all night long.

No comments: