Saturday, April 23, 2011

Mikaela vs the Bottle

At around 4 or 5 weeks, Mikaela stopped being willing to drink from a bottle. I tried to get her to drink a few more times over the next couple of weeks and months, but seeing as I was on maternity leave for awhile longer, I didn't push the issue. We had gone through this with Naomi. I remember how stressed I was about going back to work, knowing that Naomi wasn't going to be getting her full feedings since she stubbornly refused to take a bottle. She would refuse to drink for hours at a time, finally only drinking enough just to satiate her hunger, wait for me to get home, then nurse and nurse. This went on for a few days til she finally just accepted the bottle.
Knowing how hard it was on me and my mom, who was at home taking care of Naomi, Austin and I decided to get Mikaela used to taking a bottle this weekend. At 7:40, Mikaela woke up (After 7 hours since her last feed!!), but she refused to take a bottle. We tried for awhile with little breaks in between. She finally fell asleep at around 9:30 while I was out getting my foot x-rayed. (a whole other story). When she woke up, we tried again for a few hours. Finally at around 12:15, with a little bait and switch action...(don't ask, just think about it, if you don't get it, you don't really need to know), she drank a full bottle. Success. She was sooo happy afterwards and coo'ed up a storm, smiling at everyone, for about 5 minutes, then she passed out, completely full and happy. She's still sleeping now, so we'll see how bottle #2 of the day goes. Hopefully from here on out it just gets easier.

No comments: