Monday, April 18, 2011

3 months



Mikaela turned 3 months last week. I'm trying so hard not to countdown the days I have left on maternity leave, but as I see how quickly the girls are growing, my return to work weighs more and more on me. I do miss the adult conversations, being able to get dressed and not expect to get spit up, snot or tears wiped on me for at least a few hours (not including my own). But I've had such an amazing time with both the girls that I don't know how I'll be able to go back to work and leave them for so many hours of the day without my heart breaking into a million pieces. Everyone says they'll be fine, it's good for Naomi to be in daycare, Mikaela will be with my mom and well taken care of yada yada. Yes that I know. My girls are in good hands. They are well loved regardless of whether or not I get to spend every waking minute with them. It's me that I'm worried about really. Ok but back to Mikaela and the fact that she's 3 months old.

Somewhere in the past few weeks, she has transitioned from being a somewhat high maintenance newborn, to an easy going, loveable, smiley baby. She smiles whenever she sees a new face. She loves to watch Naomi whenever Naomi is within her sight. In fact, Naomi has the magical capability of being able to calm Mikaela whenever she is crying. Physically, she's getting a lot stronger, gaining weight well and starting to sleep well at night. She still wakes up 2 times or so to nurse at night, but on occasion we've had nights where she's only woken up once, and even 2 times is a huge improvement from when Austin and I had to hold her well into the middle of the night, or sleep with her tucked into our chests. She still refuses to take a bottle, which is something she'll quickly have to get over when I do go back to work.
She coo's and is starting to laugh and is just incredibly social. She loves to be able to stare into your eyes and will often cry in protest if she's not able to see anyone in the room. She'll happily sit in her highchair watching us eat dinner each night, content to be close to the rest of the family.
She's really close to being able to roll over, as soon as she's lying on her own, you'll find her struggling to roll onto her stomach. She probably would have figured out how to roll over if it weren't for the fact that we've been visiting family for the last 2.5 weeks, and everyone pretty much wants to hold her all the time!
Needless to say, her constant coo'ing, smiling and adorable big eyes pretty much melts the hearts of everyone she comes into contact with.

Here are her stats from her doctor's visit. (which by the way was the first doctor's checkup for both girls where we were totally tear free (up until Mikaela got her 3 shots that is..and that doesn't count)).

Height: 23 inches (I don't think this is that accurate, more like 21 or 22) (20th percentile)
Weight: 11 lbs 8oz (20th percentile)
Head circ: 40.4cm (70th percentile)

Her doctor said everything was on track with Mikaela and said she was the "perfect" baby. I couldn't agree more.
And in case you're curious...I thought it'd be fun to compare MIkaela's stats to Naomi's at this age: Naomi's 3 mth stats

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that's fun to compare their 3 month pics! you know, i looove seeing this pic, it cracks me up especially now that you've told me about the evil plotting to take over the world hands and the innocent face. awwwww! :) - P