Monday, December 13, 2010

Unexpected complications

Today I went in for my 35 wk checkup and ultrasound. I've been getting extra ultrasounds throughout this pregnancy to monitor the baby's kidneys (which were too large) and her growth rate (which was too slow). At today's check up, the kidneys are a-ok which is great news since enlarged kidneys can be a soft indicator for birth defects such as downs syndrome and heart disease. Thankfully it looks like we have nothing to worry on that front.
Unfortunately, the baby's growth rate isn't exactly where the doctor would like it. Despite the fact that Naomi was a small baby (6lbs 10oz and 19 inches) and remains a small toddler (the last we checked she was in the 2% class for weight and 25% for height, the OB was still concerned. Ultimately he had to make a decision to have me deliver today, meaning the baby would probably be in the NICU for awhile, but at least getting the necessary nutrients she needed, or to have me go on bedrest for a week and check to see if that would help get blood flow to the uterus. He ultimately chose bedrest, which is a blessing and a curse. Bedrest is not fun. I've only been officially on bed rest for half of a day and I'm already getting antsy. Not only am I worried about the baby, yes I had a mini meltdown in the car on the way home, I'm literally supposed to be on my back for 99% of the day, not even sitting. I'm allowed to take one bath/shower, go to the bathroom and have meals out of bed. (plus I have a cold and sore throat to boot). After an afternoon in bed, I'm achey from lying down all day, my head hurts, and I'm totally stir crazy! I still have another 6 days to go! And of course I feel like I'm missing out on precious time with Naomi before the baby gets here. Thankfully my parents are here, and Austin is able to get out of work earlier to pick her up from daycare, so she's completely well taken care of. But I am completely envious of Austin as I hear them laughing and singing songs during her bathtime. Hopefully the week will be enough to get baby 2 on track growth wise so I can be back on my feet for the last 4 wks of my pregnancy, and hopefully we'll be able to hold on until the new year until she makes her appearance!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

We'll be praying for you, the baby, and the family :)

Chickering Mom said...

Made me tear up a bit! You are in my prayers!

Laura said...

We're praying for you, too!